FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: REMEMBER WHEN Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words remember and/or when, totaling up to 150 lines in length, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on April 19th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Remember When will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, April 20th between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Friday, April 19, 2024

Lori Wall-Holloway


I Remember When

 

I remember when

as slowly our cats left

us, Gizmo was the one

always waiting at home

 

I recall

loving to watch her race

through rooms with abandon

when she did not have to hide

from young children who

came to visit

 

I remember

every morning seeing

her lay in sunlight

shining through the window

or her sitting atop her cat tree

to feel warm sunny rays

while gazing at the scene

below

 

I recall

how she curled up on the back

of the couch to signal her desire

to be petted

Or rub against our legs to force

us to notice her demands

It was her way of stating

she owned us

 

I remember

my buddy who slept  

at the foot of the bed

so as not to be disturbed

unless it was too cold

and she would cuddle

next to me to stay warm

 

As I walk into my room

I still see her at the end

of the bed where she allowed

those she feared to pet

her as a way of saying

good-bye; it’s time

 

Now, Gizmo’s original tree

with its worn carpeting

has been removed

but the loss of my little friend

is still tender

because we were forced

to say farewell to our last cat

and an era of pet owning

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CLS Sandoval

My First Dog   More fur than Lassie but the same coloring Coco was the best Saying Goodbye to the Cousins, the Summer Before Second Grade Th...