FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: REMEMBER WHEN Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words remember and/or when, totaling up to 150 lines in length, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on April 19th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Remember When will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, April 20th between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Friday, April 12, 2024

Luis Cuauhtemoc Berriozabal

High Five


I walk out 

of my car

and a guy

in a

bike rides by

with his

outstretched hand 

looking

for a high 

five. I 

acquiesce,

giving

the stranger

a high

five, and I 

go on

about my

day. I 

remember 

his smile,

as he rode 

his bike.

The prankster 

in me

of old would

have pulled

my hand right

before

the high five.

I would

have been the

one that 

was smiling.




Go Back in Time


I wish I could 

go back in time

to eat at the 

places I used

to like to eat.

Places that no

longer exist,

where my dad and

mom used to take

us on Fridays.

Peeking Panda,

Mario’s Pizza,

both places were off

Hacienda.

The Original 

Barbecue and

The Sockyard, both 

on Vermont. It

is not the same

anymore. I 

wish I could go

back in time and

speak to my dad

and my brother,

tell them about

new places I

found, places they 

might enjoy. I 

remember the

Downtown deli

Europa.

I have not found

a sandwich place

better than that.

I wish I could

go back in time.

I wish I could

go to China

Palace Buffet,

Taste of Texas,

La Fiesta, Suns,

Danny’s Kosher

Pickle, and The

Seafood Bay.




Speak Now


Speak and let the cities 

lay out your words, across plains,


into the mouth of babes.


Speak to the flies on walls.

Let your voice reach them.


Speak now for eternity waits.


Let the cities remember you.

Cities burn with desires.

Cities come and cities go.

Cities spill the secret you never told.

Their mind reading is legendary.

All cities are inhabited by ghosts.


In open fields, speak your truth.

The living will listen.

They will harvest each word.

They will dream and feed 

on flames and laugh as

they swallow the sun.


When it is all over

the bright-eyed sun will laugh back.


No comments:

Post a Comment

CLS Sandoval

My First Dog   More fur than Lassie but the same coloring Coco was the best Saying Goodbye to the Cousins, the Summer Before Second Grade Th...